New Delhi, 22 Sep 2015
MUMBAI: Indian Naval Ship Angre, a naval establishment here, which
currently functions as the main 'base and depot' establishment for
the Western Naval Command, celebrated its 64th anniversary today.
Navy officers and civilians, who worked together at the
establishment, celebrated the day in naval style, after the statue
of Maratha navy's founder admiral Kanhoji Angre, was garlanded by
Rear Admiral S P Lal, VSM, Admiral Superintendent of Naval Dockyard
(Mumbai), according to an official release issued here.
A 'badakhana' and a variety entertainment programmes were also
organised as part of the celebrations.The history of the port city
of Mumbai and INS Angre are closely linked. It was here that the
potential of erstwhile Bombay as a port city was first recognised by
the British colonial administration.
Though it was only in 1940 that Castle Barracks were commissioned as
HMIS Dalhousie and declared as a complete naval station, the Bombay
Castle (as INS Angre was once called) has an even older history.
In 1543, the Sultan of Gujarat ceded the island of Bombay to the
Portuguese, who built a fort on the island. However, most of the
village of Bombay was leased to the famous Portuguese botanist
physician, Gracia da Orta whose Manor House is still visible in
Later, Manor House played an important role in the history of Bombay
city. It was here that the treaty of cessation was signed on
February 18, 1665, between Humphrey Cooke and the Portuguese,
handing over Bombay to King Charles II of England as part of the
dowry to be received by him after his marriage to princess Catherine
Braganza of Portugal.
When Manor House had belonged to the Portuguese, it had braved
attacks by Dutch, English and Arab forces. After the British East
India Company took charge of Bombay Castle in 1668, they enlarged
and fortified it further, until it became the headquarters of the
East India Company in 1686.
The fort is also said to have been used in battles by the British
against the Marathas. The present name of the base (acquired in
1951) is most significant since it is named after the famous Maratha
admiral Kanhoji Angre during Chhatrapati Shivaji's rule. Bombay
Castle had grown, both in size and importance.
A town has come up around the castle while fortifications and moats
sprang up around it forming what is known as the Fort area today. It
was also during the time of the British East India Company that ship
building in and around the Fort area received great impetus.
Remnants of the past are still visible within premises of INS Angre
and some Portuguese era relics have survived the test of time. These
include massive weather--beaten two-storey wooden gates, which is
the entrance to INS Angre, carved figures of pantalooned Portuguese
soldiers, a rocket shaped lookout tower and an approximately
ten-feet high sundial, with grotesque carving of heads of men,
monsters and animals.
walls of the fort, 23 feet at the base, are the most impressive of
all, which were made of stone, probably granite and sand stone from
Rajasthan, due to which they have most admirably withstood the
ravages of time and tide.
of these original structures have been preserved as they were at the
time of Independence, such as the 150 years old brass cannons, main
doors, fort walls and sundial. However, some changes have also been
made over time, since dungeons which were once used to keep pirates
and other defaulters have been converted into offices and stores.
During the function, Commodore Suprobho De, Commanding Officer of
INS Angre said that the Indian Navy is committed to preserve the
premises to accentuate its heritage value, history and semblance of
historical Indian Navy base will continue to be a centre of great
naval maritime activity as it has been for over the past four
centuries, he said.
the 16th century AD, Bombay was an archipelago of seven marshy
islands which were leased by the King of Portugal, who got
possession of the island from Gujarat monarchy in 1534, to his
compatriot Garcia de Orta, a famous botanist-physician in 1548. He
built a wooden permanent structure called Manor House, which was the
first modern construction of Bombay.
re-built Manor House in INS Angre, today, is the seat of the Flag
Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Naval Command.
During the early times, the area around the Manor House consisted of
a sea front wall and four guns mounted on it and it became known as
the Castle Barracks. The British became the masters of the islands
of Bombay when the Portuguese gave them in dowry to his Majesty King
Charles II for the marriage of Catherine of Braganza, of Portugal
and the Manor House officially became the seat of power of the
British Empire in 1665. The islands of Bombay came into the
possession of the East India Company on September 23, 1668.
Company shifted its headquarters from Surat to Castle Barracks in
1686. In 1830, the naval ensign then known as the ‘Company Jack’
was hoisted on the Castle for the first time when the Bombay Marine
was re-designated as the Royal Indian Navy.
1940, the Castle was commissioned as HMIS Dalhousie and renamed as
INS Dalhousie on January 26, 1950. The establishment was renamed as
INS Angre on September 15, 1951 in the honour of great Maratha
Admiral Kanhoji Angre. Even after more than four centuries, the
Castle Barracks still retains some of the original structures and
Angre, is the shore based logistics and administrative support
establishment of the Western Naval Command. This establishment
carries out the duties and functions of the base depot ship for the
Command. The establishment is also known as the Naval Barracks and
provides multifarious facilities to all ships and units based at
Commanding Officer of this establishment is also known as the
COMBRAX (Commodore Naval Barracks), who exercises full jurisdiction
over the Naval properties at south Mumbai and carries out the
functions of the Station Commander, South Mumbai.
Angre is like a mother ship which controls and oversees the
functioning of a wide array of diverse units and facilities. Some
of the allied units of Angre are listed below:-
WNC (O) Mess.
Indian Naval Sailors Home ‘Sagar’.
All accommodation built for Sailors in Navy Nagar at South Colaba.
All accommodation built for Naval Officers in NOFRA at South Colaba.
Command Swimming pool in South Mumbai.
Naval Transport Pool
Schools such as Naval KG, Little Angles I, II, III, IV and Kendriya
Station Cdr ECHS (Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme)
Hostels such as Naval Girls Hostel, Boys Hostel, Working Women’s
Hostel and Widows Hostel.
administrative and logistics support functions undertaken by this
unit touch the lives of every officer, sailor, civilian and their
family members posted in this Command.